[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - New software to use your TX as a joystick

New software to use your TX as a joystick

Postby shinichio nishiya » Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:24 am

Mr. Seki made a completely new type soft ware.
You can use your R/C transmitter as a joystick controller in the PC connecting them with an audio cable.
It works on the PCs that Windows 2000 or Windows XP has been installed.
Visit here.
shinichio nishiya

Postby johnhlong » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:01 pm

Anybody had a chance to try this yet?

John
Seattle, WA
USA
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby garfield » Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:21 pm

Yes! :)

Took me a couple of hours messing around with the settings, but I finally got it to work. I have a JR 652 radio and am running Windows 2000 with a Sound Blaster Live Value sound card. I used a simple 6' long 1/8" mono mini-plug cable purchased from my local Radio Shack without any transistor. (Probably the same cable JR sells as a Trainer, but I'm not certain). It sure beats soldering a bunch of elecrical components or paying 40 bucks or more for a USB interface cable! - But you will have to do a bit of soldering if you own a Futaba or Hitech, the info is on the web site noted above.

I couldn't get it to work on the Microphone port on the sound card. The Microsoft "Sound Recorder" did register the input signal when the radio on the microphone jack, but for some reason FMS could not pick it up at any input volume level.

So I used the Line-in port instead which worked fine. I set the input volume control to about 30% of maximum (set from from Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia).

One VERY important thing is, if you use Sound Recorder to test the input signal TURN IF OFF BEFORE YOU LAUNCH FMS - the Sound Recorder somehow interferes with the signal and will not pass it through to FMS.

And it's also important to make sure that you download and install the latest drivers for your sound card for Windows 2000/XP first! The default Microsoft Drivers for Windows 2000/XP are bare-bones and may not have all of the features activated.

Seems kind of weird controlling FMS through the line-in jack of a sound card, but it works!

Kudos to Tsutomu Seki, a very ingenious fellow. And thanks to Shinichio Nishiya for bringing it to my attention!

Gary
London ON
Canada
garfield

Postby shinichio nishiya » Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:08 am

Hi,
Thanks for your important information.
As Tsutomu Seki said, SmartPropo is not perfect software.
It depends on the circumstance of the PC
It is required some work to adjust to one's PC
I will announce your information to the users in Japan.
And if the way to fix the control stability will be discovered I will let you know here.

Shinichiro Nishiya
Aomori city, Japan
shinichio nishiya

Postby garfield » Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:49 pm

>>>
Shinichiro Nishiya wrote:
"And if the way to fix the control stability will be discovered I will let you know here."
<<<

Hi Shinichio:

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "control stability", but my control setup is rock solid. Everything works perfectly.

Gary
garfield

Postby shinichio nishiya » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:44 pm

Gary,
I misunderstood your word
shinichio nishiya

Postby bsergeev » Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:33 pm

I tried to use this DLL in Windows 2000 with JR 652. The only difference from Gary's system was a different sound card: I've got Vortex2 based card, while he was using SB Live Value.

First, FMS wouldn't start in w2000, throwing an error "some function not found/not initialised in WINDMM.DLL". At the same time, FMS started fine in Windows 98.

Next, Sound Recorder detected the signal coming from the TX. If the mono cable is plugged into Mic connector, Sound Recorder showed very strong signal. When the cable is in Line-In--the signal was barely visible. In both cases, though, FMS didn't detect the signal.

I also tried Futaba CONQUEST with 10k resistor--same rersults.

I wonder if the results depend on the CPU speed, sound card brand, ... ?
It would be useful for users of this promising software as well as for the code debuging if Mr. Tsutomu Seki could post the success stories: Windows version, sound card type and drivers version, CPU speed, TX type, etc.

Boris
bsergeev

Postby garfield » Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:05 pm

Hi Boris:

Since you obviously read my post, you probably know this...but just to make sure:

1. Close (dismiss) Sound Recorder before launching FMS.

2. Make sure you have the volume set correctly, and the Line-in check box SELECTED:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia
click on Audio Tab, and Volume button on the "Sound Recording" panel, then click on the "Select" checkbox under LINE-IN.

I set the Volume of my line-in to 30% but that may or may not be representative of your system.

Gary
garfield

Postby robc » Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:05 pm

Could this software be compiled to work with Win98?
robc

Postby bsergeev » Wed Mar 13, 2002 4:25 pm

Sill no luck making it work: can't start FMS in w2000, no signal in FMS in w98...
bsergeev

Postby johnhlong » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:45 am

Garfield,

Where did you get the new drivers for you Sound Blaster Live Value?

John
John Long
Seattle, Washington
USA
(425) 837-0802
johnhlong

Postby NEM3 » Tue Mar 19, 2002 9:17 pm

I tried the software with a regular mono cable from radio shack. I am getting a signal but the whole thing is jumping all over the place liek my 16 bit dll connector use to only worse. Is there any way to fix this. I just bought a new computer and have installed Win2000 Pro and the Audio codec is called AC '97.

Any ideas on how to help this out.
NEM3

Postby rob » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:18 am

Any chance somebody with a working setup could record the control signal in sound recorder or something so that it can be played back through the system to test if fms responds to it?

The plan is to use the "stereo mixer" input that is a loop back of the sound being output to the speakers. I'm thinking I could play a recorded control signal in winamp and assuming everything else works, fms should respond to the signal.

Just an idea,
Rob
rob

Postby garfield » Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:32 pm

NEM3:

I had the same problem when I used the Microphone jack on my sound card, so I switched to the Line-In jack instead. Make sure that when you do, though, that you tell Windows to use the line-in jack as the recording source. You do this by going to Control Panel, select the "Sounds and Multimedia Prpoperties" icon, Click on the Audio tab, and click on Volume button in the Sound Recording panel. Make sure the "Select" checkbox under Line-in is checked.

And one other important thing! If you are using a JR radio, do NOT turn it on! It won't work if the radio is on. With the radio turned off, just insert the cable into the jack on the back of the radio and it will turn itself on in "buddy" mode which is what you want.

BTW, I am using Windows 2000 Pro.

Rob:

Sorry, that won't work, I tried it but FMS will not read the playback from Sound Recorder.
Sorry.
garfield

Return to General Discussions