[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Hand launch and Thermaling (sailplane fun) - technique

Hand launch and Thermaling (sailplane fun) - technique

Postby DaveP » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:13 am

This is kind of cool if you like/want to learn gliders and thermal techniques. I fly handlaunch gliders and thermaling out from a hand launch is the ultimate: Here's a simulation for the same, but from a slope instead of flat ground:

1. Choose a glider (I like the Diamant).
2. Choose the Switzerland_Slope Scenery. This puts you way above the landing strip (but no worries).
3. Set the Thermal Options (in the Simulation menu) to around 60% for both settings.
4. Press R to hand launch the glider. The glider is all of the sudden in front of you and flying straight out.

If you find lift and make efficient turns, up you go. The good news is if you "get drilled" (no lift, glider lands), you don't need to chase it, just press R again.

Hints:
- Trim the glider first. Set the Thermal Option settings to minimum and fly around a bit. For the Diamant, adjust the elevator trim tab for around 8 m/s airspeed (Press A to turn on the speed display).
- If it's too easy to spec out, reduce the thermal option settings. Too tough, turn the options up. As you improve, reduce the settings again. Also try a higher abundance with reduced strength.
- Use Speed/Altitude/Vario (Press A) at first to see amount of lift.

I currently have Thermal Options set so that I have one shot at finding lift: 40% Updraft (lift strength) and 45% Bubbles (abundance of lift). I just started this stuff so will see just how low (and high) I can go,

Rules:
- No Chase Mode, and leave Zoom and Pilot Positions at the default settings. One thing about glider flying, you need to get used to flying with the glider far away from you. This is especially true when your glider is at cloud base…. 8~). If you move the stick left and you see a spec move to the right, then the glider is coming towards you (or is upside down). Get used to it, the glider you save might be your own.

Next challenge:
- Choose the scenery named Islet_Sunset. This places you on that little grass bump above the landing strip and better simulates low-level flying. Now, if I could move those pesky palm trees. I reached 300+ m from this launch.
- Use your Tx's timer to see how long you can stay aloft at low thermal settings (till glider stops). Good practice!!

To come down from way up above, hold full right and full up elevator and spiral spiral spiral.

And remember: Lift increases, decrease bank angle; lift decreases, increase bank angle. Keep it smooth!!!
DaveP

Postby barthirst » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:02 pm

Wow! Sweet Post! I've been wondering how to do the sailplane! Sounds like i'm gonna be clocking some hours in the cockpit 2night!
barthirst

Postby DaveP » Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:42 pm

DaveP

Postby DaveP » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Wow, hard to imagine that it was way back in 2002 when I posted about thermal soaring. This is still the best way to intro new sailplane pilots to flying and thermal technique.

I was away for a few years, and then recently installed FMS on a different computer, after finding the Win XP version of SmartPropo. I also just found SmartPropoPlus, which seems to offer smoother flying through the line-in port. I'm using a programmable JR radio in PCM mode.

Latest version with wind component – Slope Soaring is awesome

I use the wind speed and direction option, and various maps, to slope soar from different altitudes. After adjusting the wind speed and direction, I just used a discus launch model and ridge soared off a ~30 foot slope (world map). It actually looked and felt very close to how I soar small RC gliders from small slopes; low and tight to the ridge. Connecting my laptop to my plazma display mades for a real-life-type simulation.

I also (used to) fly helies, so appreciate those models. It's actually very close to other RC-specific sims, minus the gyro adjustment. However, I like the way it forces coordinated tail control for good turns.

Anyway, my continued gratitude to the developers of this package. It is such a great tool. Off to fly some more.

Edit: Adding a few screen shots. Landing strip visible in background. With no thermal activity and a wind speed of 1, it takes perfectly coordinated turns close in to stay aloft.

Landscape: World
Model: Atlantis_III_B
Wind speed = 1
Direction = 65 degrees:

Just after launch:

Landing on the slope:
DaveP

slope soaring

Postby SimScale » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:40 pm

I recently installed version2 8.5 on my XP machine. I left the beta 7 install a while back because I didn't have a system to run 8.5.

I've had a lot of fun trying the gliders in the Swiss Alps landscape with wind set to face into the big mountain side. It's a challenge but very realistic to keep some of the models aloft.

I'd like to see a new landscape with maybe a beach scene rising up a few dunes to a guardrail and road, then a cliff behind that. Imagine the flights you could have.

If I ever get enough time on my hands, I'll probably try to build it. Somehow I have to unlearn all the beta 7 and re-learn version 8.5 and defining the flight characteristics of some of these planes.
For slope you need some weight. That Messerschmitt BF-109 PSS plane is too light, but would be really fun seeing how fast you can go and maintain lift.

It's so much fun, and my kids are old enough to start learning now!

SimScale
SimScale

Return to General Discussions