[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FMS Forum • View topic - Who here flies real helicopters? - I want to know how realistic FMS is...

Who here flies real helicopters? - I want to know how realistic FMS is...

Postby Johan » Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:49 pm

I have no idea on how real RC helis behave or fly. I am wondering how true the FMS experience is?

Johan
Johan

Postby TPOP » Sat Feb 10, 2001 7:13 pm

There are some short coming to this sim, but in general it is pretty much on the money. I fly the kalt whisper and a 30 Hirobo. The only thing I see so far is that the inverted flight is not available yet(hopefully)
Tim
Tpop [br]Keep on trying to miss the ground.
TPOP

Postby TPOP » Sun Feb 11, 2001 10:25 pm

Ok, I take back part of what I said about the heli being on the money. I have gone through as many manuvers, as I know( I know them all) and there are a few glitches in the programming. First of all, this is just graphic related, the landing gear is below the tarmac at full down throttle. (not that big of a deal) the next thing is the up and over loop, If the power is reduced completely at the beginning point of the loop, the copter will actually climb. This does not happen with a real rc copter (unfortaintly I have found this out in real flying, lots of damage to heli when it hit the ground) The next is at take off, I used the cobra for this example, It is way to easy to handle. The response is slightly too fast (sometimes) and the copter will do manuvers that the rc version can do, but not with out years of practice.
Overall, On a reallity scale of 1-10, I would now have to give it about a six and a half-seven. I will be doing more tests with some of the other helis later (three dee is the closest so far to reallity) The three dee is a pretty good sim, except for the ability to control it at the landing, it becomes way to easy to control then. I have been flying rc helis for about fifteen years, and do understand the principles behind the anticipated movements, but I think even some one with no experence can handle these helis with a moderate amount of practice. The bottom line is that it takes somewhere in the neighbor hood of about 100-200 flights with an rc heli, just to learn to hover, With some forward flight. I am starting to ramble now, so I think I will quit here for now.
Tim
TPOP

Postby Johan » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:39 pm

Darn, I was getting my hopes up. I have spent 6 hours on the sim, and I now don't have all that much troubles to keep the ThreeDee hovering for unlimited time (tail in). I am also getting the hang on nose in hovers. The physics might not be all that correct, but if I am not mistaking, the stick coordination is the same as in R/L.

Anyways ... I am going to keep up trying to hover using FMS.

Thanks for info!

The_1
Johan

Postby TPOP » Mon Feb 12, 2001 10:57 pm

The most realistic heli for learning so far is the HAWK II, is seems to handle more like a rc heli and the center of gravity for this heli seems to be in the correct place.
It is the most difficult heli to fly so far. I will attempt to build a rc heli that is realistic.
Tim
TPOP

Postby TPOP » Sat Mar 03, 2001 10:44 pm

TPOP

Postby TPOP » Sat Mar 17, 2001 3:55 am

Well, I finally figured out how to fly the heli's upside down. I must say, that this is one of my favorite manuvers. Staying upside down for as long as I can.
Ok OK Just as the heli is upside down, decrease the throttle to zero. It will fly all day long upside down as long as you do not turn it back over. Oh and everything is backwards upside down (Some cool programming ) up is down and so fourth. Something I like to do now is take off with flare. Turn throttle to full at take off, crash with the auto reset turned to on. At the moment of the crash, the copter will reset its self and begin an up and over from the ground, once the copter is upsidedown reduce the throttle to zero and it will do a flip right in front of you. Level off then fly. With practice, you can do it with out crashing first. DO NOT TRY WITH RC HELI---TOO EXPENSIVE.
Thanks for reading
TPOP

Postby Mark Strahlendorf » Sat Apr 21, 2001 2:01 pm

Hi , I have been flying rc choppers for 5 years and have taught 2 good fixed wing fliers to fly heli`s. My first flight was 9yrs ago on a dave brown simulator. Took about 4hrs and more than 贄,000 of sim heli crashes to get a good hover going. I have tried csm v10 and real flight and both were unrealistic. Real helis have inertia and get transitional lift. I fly a raptor/os32 and ergo/os46. Once in a hover you can move into forward flight, climb, and do stall turns without changing the throtle setting.
A heli sim however, provides valuble stick time and builds confidence. I always practice a move on a sim before risking a helicopter.
Mark Strahlendorf

Postby Rotor » Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:36 am

I think that the Sim is most valuable for coordination training... I put the "EXP" setting on in the joystick control section, and it slowed down the reactions I make alot (like heavy stabilizer weights on the real deal). With this, I am learning the coordination needed to do nose in hovering.

I plan on making one of those adapters that interfaces the sim with a radio, all for coordination's sake. This way, when I take the real thing out to learn, I won't have to worry about flipping over during nose in flight.

Just my opinion,

Rotor
Rotor

Postby Game programmer » Sat Jul 07, 2001 10:06 pm

>>>> Strahlendorf

Hi, i am not starting an argument here... just sating...i am 16...and i first got into fixwing.. (still am) but i went and bought myself CSM10.... Bcuz i wanted to learn helis... i got told CSM is very good for helis and so did ALOT of helicopter wbsites. I learnt on that for nearly 5 week... i then got myself and morley mavrick as the tutur that was going to teach me had the same... and after building it up... on my 4th flight i was doing circuits and flying face to a landing.......all because of CSM.....not sure how u can say it was unrealistic.... but that is your thought. I know peaple have different points of view and thats your POV nad this is mine...but mine just happend to be proven to pay off.

Thanks

many Regards
Andy
Game programmer

Postby 340fred » Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:08 am

I have a Raptor 30 wuth a TT36
I now have over 40 flights . On a calm day I can hover
for over 3 minutes . Also on a calm day I fly slow
circles around me. Low to the ground and slooooow.
I am still too chicken to take off the hoop.
My interest in the sim interface, is for า.99 I cannot even buy a set of main blades for my raptor.

Fred..
340fred

Postby Ian Mackenzie » Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:31 pm

Hi There

I have a couple of Heli's - Concept 30 SRT and a Concept 46VR. I've been flying for 3 years with a heli and 10+fixed wing.

With the model I'll fly circuits, auto-rotate, 2D manoeuvres.

Sure the simulator has some inaccuracies in the modelling. That said it is an excellent tool to learn basic circuits, hovering and nose in (I learnt to fly nose in on the simulator and it does work!)

I used the interface and used the rates on the transmitter to make it a bit more realistic.

Well worth using to learn with – though do a bit on the simulator then practice with the real model and consolidate the learning!
Ian
Ian Mackenzie

Return to General Discussions